Translate

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Oh Hey There, Diabetes! Didn't see you there!

I have to say, I love Florida. I love the heat, I love Disney, and I love FFL. But this cracked me up:

Yes, I have my very first sensor tan!

I know, amusing. I took the sensor off for my MRI today, cause you can't bring any metal into the machine, seeing as it's a giant magnet. So I took it out, and went upstairs to take a shower. And I caught this at a glance in the mirror. Truth be told, I wouldn't have noticed it if I had taken a shower before the sensor came off. 

I looked at it, and just laughed my butt off. I mean seriously? I thought the clear tape would be clear enough to let UV rays through and just leave a little circle tan where the white sensor tape sits. But noooooooooo. Let's leave a big, giant, pale square. That's cool too. 

Another "Hello, Diabetes!" moment I had today was when I non-D friend sent me an episode of 16 and Pregnant, and then told me to watch it, and then watch the finale thing online. Now, I'm not a reality TV kind of girl. But because she was so sincere about it, I watched it. And I was like yeah, okay this Mackenzie chick is a cheerleader, blah blah blah. Her son has an out of the ordinary name, blah blah blah. And then, I finished it and was like "what the hell did I just waste an hour for?" I reluctantly watched the finale thing, and saw that Mackenzie Douthit has type one diabetes. And I'm pretty sure I almost shit bricks. I had to pause the video and rewind it a few times before it really sunk it. I stopped watching, cause frankly I didn't care about any of the other girls at that moment. My biggest question was why didn't she mention it in her episode. I mean, why? I don't know what I would've done, but I feel like I would've mentioned it, and talked about it a lot. I mean, she had a ten pound baby. Last time I checked, ten pounds is pretty damn heavy! And then there's the whole "Your A1c is supposed to be under 6.5% if you're going to try to conceive."

I don't know about Mackenzie, but I'm 16 and my A1c isn't anywhere near 6.5%. Just sayin'. Now, in no way, shape, or form am I judging her. I think she's amazing. I guess I just wish she'd said something during her episode, maybe to scare the diabetic audience or something. 

Actually, I really don't know where I was going with that. I just thought it was different. Maybe because I tell everyone in my life that I'm type one diabetic. Who knows?

ALSO: My MRI went super well. Instead of being an hour, like my Dad, Mom, chiropractor, massage therapist at the chiropractor's office, and the receptionist at the medical imaging office said, it was about twenty minutes! I was still in tons of pain at the end of it, but I got to hook my iPad up to a speaker system, and listen to my music. And I also got to put an ice pack on my back, and semi-elevate my feet. So it wasn't absolutely terrible, but I didn't enjoy it either. They also gave me a DVD, so maybe I'll post pictures of my insides!

Much love, 
Alexa

No comments:

Post a Comment