Translate

Thursday, April 7, 2011

And the Battles keep waging...

I am a terrible person.

I have abandoned you all, and I am super duper sorry for that. I wish I had like, three hours I could devote each day to blogging for you all. But alas, I don't. And I should've been blogging every single day this week, seeing as I'm on Spring Break. But of course, I'm 14 and can barely keep my pump on straight.

So, as some of you may (or may not) know, I am one of the 25% of diabetics that is fortunate enough to have both celiac disease and diabetes. For those of you who don't know, celiac is when your body is intolerant to gluten. It's a lot of work to manage both. But of course, I had my GI appointment on Tuesday. While my mother and my gastroenterologist discussed the interpreter services at the clinic (my mom works for a different branch of the same organization), I brought up two things that were really bothering me.

Milk. I can't drink a glass of milk anymore. It makes my stomach hurt, not as severely as it would if I was biting into a big slice of cake, but it's still uncomfortable. The odd thing is, I can eat ice cream. I can eat cheese, and yogurt. It's straight-from-a-cow milk, and sour cream that make my stomach whirl.

Iron. My doctor thinks that I may be iron deficient. I went in on Friday for blood work, and it was the fasting stuff where I couldn't eat for a whole bunch of time before. And when I was stuck with the needle and the blood started flowing, I started seeing stars. Pretty soon, I was retching, and thinking "If there's nothing there, why do I feel like I'm going to toss my cookies?"

My labs were processed today to check for the iron deficiency, and I got some advice on low-lactose foods. Everything is manageable, nothing life-changing. I'll probably be on an iron supplement, and I'll have to watch for milk at the breakfast table.

I know there's really nothing to be upset about, and that it's very much tolerable. But does anyone else out there realize how much I just want to *head-desk* right now?! (For those of you who don't know Rachael and her slang, *head-desk* is when you put your forehead to a desk or table of some sort) I mean, come on people! I've been diabetic since I was 14 months old, and have had celiac for not even a year. I'm just rather miffed that there are two other things to chalk up to the list.

Anyways, this isn't for me to complain. I'll keep you all posted :) And I'll post more often, again, I am so sorry about that.

Much MUCH love,
Alexa <3

No comments:

Post a Comment